Thursday, April 12, 2007

Week 2 Blog

Week 2: 04-12-2007
Question 1: Can you think of some instances in which you were/are an insider but an outsider at the same time? From the Herndon reading, I wanted you to ask questions about how being an insider/outsider to the culture played out in Chris' fieldwork, but we didn't have time. Can you think of several different contexts in your life in which you accentuate different parts of your identity (remember we talked about family culture, religious culture, student culture, etc.)? How has music played a role in these various contexts? Please write in a way that reflects your critical thinking skills (and read each others' blogs) and good writing skills. Don't simply give me a "report", but really reflect on what it all means.
I definitely knew what Herndon was talking about when she felt an outsider of the Cherokee Indian Tribe culture. She said she was “more ignorant of much of Cherokee culture and society than a total outsider, because of tacit assumptions, unspoken family taboos, and general cultural climate.” She says she was never a total outsider to Cherokee culture but she was also never an insider. This is the way I feel about Mexican culture, and I know I talked about this in the last blog but I can’t help it, it is who I am. I feel an insider of the Mexican culture here in UCLA but when it comes down to it, I am an outsider when I visit Mexico where the culture is obviously more celebrated and predominant than it is here.
I often feel I am in an insider but an outsider at the same time when I visit my family in Mexico every year or two. When I’m there, I feel like my cousins and other family members don’t interact with me the same way that they do with other members of my family. I’m not sure if its because they think I don’t speak the language, even though I speak almost perfect Spanish, or because they think I might not appreciate whatever it is they want to share because I’m not as exposed to the Mexican culture and traditions as much as the other family members are. I might come off as ignorant in my culture when Im around people/family who know it more than I do but I can definitely speak of times when I accentuate different parts of my identity here in L.A. This has occurred in many instances in which some are ashamed of their roots and thus, hide their background and cultural traditions and values but I try my best to let it out by sharing the language, traditions, history, dress, and music of the Mexican culture. Why do I do this? To differentiate myself from others. I love it when I see the dress code and accent and hear the language and music of other cultural backgrounds and so I would like others to experience it as well. It is an important part of cultural assimilation in society.


Question 2: Although we focus in on the musical sound itself in this class, music is really just part of a whole meaningful event. In what way can you think of is music just part of a whole event you've attended, and what does music reflect about this event (think of a club scene versus a religious setting).
This might be unbelievable but I have never attended a musical concert before. The only thing close to it was a live Beauty and the Beast Musical I went to when I was younger. The music of this event helped me to remember the different parts of the film by associating the movie scenes with the scenes and acting on stage. An event that I regularly attend that does involve the incorporation of music, though, is church. I go to church back at home in South Gate, a predominantly Hispanic community. I love it because it’s the only time during the week where I can feel at home with people with the same background as myself, singing and saying the prayers in the language of my culture. I have also gone to the Student Catholic Center here in Westwood village and the entire atmosphere is just so welcoming and I love how everyone sings to the songs—even the tough macho man football players! Another setting where the music makes up the event and reflects the significance of the event are fiestas. In Mexico, we listen to Rancheras and pretty much, the music makes whatever we are celebrating about 100% more fun! Also, we celebrate Quinceaneras (Sweet 16) and perform a special dance called the “balz” in which the parents, as one aspect of the dance, give the girl the “last porcelain doll” to indicate the end of the girls childhood onto becoming a woman. I cant finish the blog without talking about the setting in weddings and birthdays and babtisms and other really joyful moments that reflect our high spirits and culture through the music by dancing to rancheras, zapateada, banda, other types of music. Its so much fun!
Whereas in a religious scene we feel a sense of solidarity among the other members of the church, in a fiesta setting its more of a cultural togetherness feeling (that probably makes no sense). Its kind of like a feeling when you see your lost cousin or a family member whom you haven’t seen in a long time and then you get together and realize that you share common experiences and enjoy similar aspects of life that involve your cultural background.

No comments: